In Excel 365 (only) 2016 (since version 1704) the “Text Import Wizard” was removed. It was replaced by the powerful “Get & Transform” tools. The “Get & Transform” tools also provide a function to import text and CSV files into Excel.
You got the following two options:
- Luckily, the comfortably “Text Import Wizard” still exists. You can re-activate and use it for importing text and csv files into Excel.
- Use the import function of the “Get & Transform” tools.
Restore the “Text Import Wizard”
Re-Activate the Text Import Wizard in Excel.
The good news: You can easily restore the “Text Import Wizard”. Unfortunately, the option for re-activating them is hidden.
Follow these steps:
- Click on File and then on “Options”. Go to “Data” on the left-hand side.
- In the lower section of the window you can select the wizard you’d like to restore. For only importing text- or csv-files, select “From Text (Legacy)”. Feel free to also activate the corresponding wizard for importing Access files, files from web, from SQL servers and so on.
- Confirm with OK.
Use the “old” Text Import Wizard.
Now, you can find the so-called “Legacy Wizards” in the “Get Data” drop-down menu. In order to use them, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Data” ribbon.
- Click on “Get Data” on the left-hand side.
- Click on “Legacy Wizards”.
- Click on “From Text (Legacy)”.